Wednesday 9 July 2014

How to fool a wisteria into flowering again.

The Wisteria blooms had faded and the new shoots were going crazy so I performed the usual trimming and tidying.   I had a few artificial blooms left over from when I set up my fake rockery (mockery?) on the artificialrocks.co.uk site, and I thought I would use them to fool people into thinking that the wisteria had bloomed again and indeed was going to bloom all summer.  And winter.   Now unless someone else is actually fooling me, the wisteria has gone and produced a late flower.


Real wisteria flower and fake wisteria flower.

I have a couple of theories about this.   One theory is that new wisteria shoots have eyes and when the shoot sees another flower, it automatically starts to flower itself.   Another theory is that it just happens every now and then after a good spring pruning.   Shoot happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment